KS5 GCE English Literature

What will I learn?

The English Literature A specification encourages students to develop interest in and enjoyment of English Literature, through reading widely, critically and independently, across centuries, genre and gender, and through experience of an extensive range of views about texts and how to read them.

This specification has a clear philosophy of reading and meaning, and aims to encourage candidates to develop as informed, independent readers and critics of literary texts. A selection of the following texts have traditionally formed a core part of the curriculum:

    • Othello , by William Shakespeare
    • The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald
    • An Anthology of Love Poetry through the Ages
    • Cat on a Hot Tin Roof , by Tennessee Williams
    • Skirrid Hill , by Owen Sheers
    • The Help , by Kathryn Stockett
    • The Bell Jar, by Sylvia Plath
    • A Doll’s House, by Henrik Ibsen
    • The Yellow Wallpaper , by Charlotte Perkins Gilman
    • Wide Sargasso Sea, by Jean Rhys

How will I be assessed?

In total, 20% of the A-level qualification is coursework-based and the remaining 80% of the course is exam-based. At the end of the A-level course, there are two written exams; paper one lasts for 3 hours, and paper two lasts for 2 hours and 30 minutes.

What are the entry requirements?

GCSE English Language at grade 5 or above and GCSE English Literature at grade 5 or above

Future opportunities

A2 English Literature is a highly regarded qualification which provides a very good basis for the study of Literature at degree level (including joint degrees). It is also seen as a good measure of academic potential by universities when allocating places on degree courses for humanities subjects (including Law). As a subject which enables you to develop your ability to think critically and write analytically, the skills you will develop studying A2 English literature will never be wasted and are likely to be viewed favourably by future employers too.

Studying English Literature at degree level can lead to a variety of careers, including journalism, teaching and those in the communications industry.

Who should I contact for additional information?

Course contact:

Mrs L. Steward, laura.steward@biddenham.beds.sch.uk
Mrs C. Burton, caroline.burton@biddenham.beds.sch.uk

Exam board:  AQA