In year 7 it is ideal if students come to us understanding some basic concepts of Geography. These include:
- Locational knowledge of the seven continents and six oceans. They should be able to identify some countries within each continent, and where the oceans are located on a world map.
- In addition they should be able to locate the United Kingdom countries, major cities, and major rivers.
- Understand at least a four point compass rose.
- Know the major lines of latitude and longitude.
- A few common map symbols from an OS map.
- Name the main biomes (tropical rainforest, tundra, desert, grasslands) and understand that they are large scale ecosystems.
- Locational knowledge of the main biomes on a world map.
- The main components of a food chain.
- How a food chain links into a food web.
- What an ecosystem is.